Iron Hill School House #112C
The Iron Hill Museum (School House #112C), is the original location of the entire collections of the Delaware Academy of Science from 1967-2016. This building was built in 1923 with the sole purpose of being a center of learning for the African American students that lived in and around Iron Hill Village. The school operated from 1923 to 1964, when one teacher taught students from first through sixth grade from September to June
In the late 1960s, the Delaware Academy of Science acquired the building, and Robert L Melson founded the Iron Hill Museum. The museum has housed natural history artifacts, as well as information on the original one-room school house, for more than 40 years. After the Iron Hill Science Center was built, the collections expanded into the new building.
In February of 2023, The African American History Trail was opened near the school house. However, it has experienced several incidents of vandalism since then. DAS has been working with the community and volunteers to restore the historic trail. Click here to learn more and to see how you can help.